- 100g stale bread
- 300g mixed, seasonal local tomatoes
- ½ a pickled red onion
- 1 tablespoon of capers
- 1 tablespoon of seaweed
- 2 tablespoons of cornichons (small pickled gherkins)
- 1 bunch of fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 2 tablespoons of red wine vinegar
- Salt and pepper
This fresh and tangy Panzanella salad is a great way to use up bread that has gone stale. It’s also super-quick to make and makes the perfect accompaniment to most meals.
- Cut the stale bread into 2cm cubes and place into a large salad bowl.
- Add the vinegar and olive oil.
- Roughly chop the tomatoes, cornichons and basil to the bowl.
- Add the capers, seaweed and red onion.
- Sample the salad and then season with pepper and a pinch of salt.
Publication date: 12 April 2019
This recipe is proposed for the commitment(s):
- Don’t waste bread
- Choose local, seasonal and organic vegetables