A staggering £120bn is spent in UK supermarkets each year. If we also shopped locally a little bit more often, we’d not only be able to cut down on the amount of food miles and packaging, but we’d also be able to put more money into the pockets of local people.
It can be hard to know where to buy local food from, but the company BigBarn is on a mission to help people to find good quality, sustainable, traceable food from local suppliers.
By creating a website where people can find the food producers and independent retailers near them, they are helping to support an array of positive changes:
- Allowing small, struggling producers to sell their produce direct to customers and get a better price.
- Boosting the economy of local and rural economies, making communities more sustainable.
- Enabling consumers to access cheaper, fresher, seasonal food from ethical sources.
- Reducing food miles and the distance that animals have to travel.
- Increasing agricultural diversity and encouraging local species to flourish.
- Increasing consumers’ food knowledge and education.
With more than 6,500 food outlets on their local food map of the UK, using BigBarn is a great way to find local suppliers near you. And once you start buying food from local producers, they’ll be able to tell you about even more great shops, stalls, markets and growers in your area!
- Choose local, seasonal and organic vegetables