- 50g gram flour
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 thumb-sized piece of ginger grated
- Coriander stalks, roughly chopped
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 1 onion, finely sliced
- ¼ carrot, grated
- 2 burger buns
- 1 tbsp natural yoghurt
- 1 tsp desiccated coconut
- 1 tbsp coriander leaves
- Mixed salad leaves
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ¼ tsp English mustard
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
A fantastic fusion of flavours makes this Indian take on the classic American burger such a treat!
Top tip: If you follow a vegan diet, swap the natural yoghurt for a vegan alternative!
- Add gram flour, garlic, ginger, coriander stalks, curry powder, 50ml of cold water and a pinch of salt and pepper to a mixing bowl.
- Finely slice the onion, grate the carrot, and add to the mixture.
- Heat two tbsp of olive oil in a frying pan on a medium heat. Once hot, divide the bhaji mix into two, shape into burger-shaped patties and place into the pan. Don’t attempt to move the burger until the base has slightly crisped up (around two minutes).
- Cook the bhaji for about 15 minutes.
- While the bhajis are cooking, mix the yoghurt, coconut and chopped coriander and wash the salad leaves.
- For the dressing: Mix the Olive oil, English mustard and apple cider vinegar, dress your salad leaves just before you’re ready to eat.
- Cut your burger buns in half, heat in a toaster or in a pan and add the bhaji burger.
- Top each burger with the yoghurt, salad and get stuck in!
Publication date: 8 October 2019
This recipe is proposed for the commitment(s):
- Introduce vegetarian meals
- Make your own meals