- 250ml white wine vinegar
- 250ml water
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- A small pinch of dried chili flakes
- 2 tablespoon caster sugar
Pickling is a great way to use up surplus vegetables and add extra flavour to your meals. Pickles also make great gifts for friends and loved ones!
You can pickle all sorts of vegetables. Some of our favourites are carrot, celery, onion, cucumber, chilli, beetroot, cauliflower and mushroom, but you can experiment with lots more.
- Clean and sterilise your jar thoroughly with boiling water and let it dry naturally. You can use any old jam jar or pickle jar (Kilner jar).
- While your jar is drying, put all of your pickling liquor ingredients in a pan and bring it to the boil.
- Fill your jar with your desired vegetables.
- Choose whether you’d like your pickles to be raw or cooked.
- For cooked pickles, pour the hot pickling liquor over your vegetables until they are totally covered. The vegetables will slowly cook as they pickle, while keeping their crunch. Let the contents cool down completely before closing the lid tightly.
- For raw pickles, let your pickling liquid cool down completely before pouring it over your chosen vegetables. Make sure they are totally covered in the liquor and then close the lid tightly.
- Leave your pickles for a few days, weeks or even months and then enjoy!
- Reduce your food waste