- 1 thumb-size piece of ginger (finely sliced)
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 ½ tablespoon of white miso paste
- 15g of dried shiitake mushrooms
- 1 litre of vegetable stock
- 2 tablespoons of soy sauce
- 1 local free range egg
- 100g of soba or rice noodles
- 2 spring onions
- 2 beansprouts
- ½ carrot
- 2 radishes
- ½ red chili
This ramen noodle soup is a fresh, yet filling, way to introduce more vegetarian meals into your life and cut down on meat. It’s also quick to prepare, making cooking from home simpler.
- Peel and finely slice the ginger, crush the garlic and add to a saucepan along with the vegetable stock, soy sauce, miso paste and shitake mushrooms. Bring to the boil and then reduce to a simmer for 5 minutes or until the ginger is soft.
- Now strain the broth and pour into a separate saucepan. Retain the ginger and shitake mushrooms to add to the finished bowls of ramen.
- Boil the eggs for 6 minutes and then cool under cold water. Once cooled peel the eggs, cut them in half and place to one side.
- Cook the noodles as per the cooking instructions. Once cooked cool them down in cold water, leave them in the water to prevent them from sticking together.
- Finely slice the spring onions, chilli and radish and place onto a plate. Using a peeler, cut ribbons from the carrot and place onto the plate.
- To finish the dish heat the stock and arrange your bowl with the noodles, prepared vegetables, beansprouts, mushrooms and ginger.
- Pour over the hot stock and enjoy.
Publication date: 29 March 2019