- ½ medium crown prince squash
- 8 banana shallots
- 3 tbsp rapeseed oil
- 3 spring onions
- 1 small bunch of parsley
- 1 lemon
- 1 tbsp tahini
- 1 tsp apple juice concentrate
- ½ garlic clove
- 2 tbsp water
- Salt and pepper
This is a perfect autumn salad, using some of the best produce of the season.
- Skin and deseed the squash, and cut into 3cm chunks. Then skin the shallots and cut into half lengthways.
- Preheat the oven to 180◦C. Place the shallots into a bowl and add 1 tbsp of oil, mix and place onto an oven tray. Cook for 15-20 minutes, until nice and soft.
- Place the squash in a mixing bowl along with 2 tbsp of oil and a good pinch of salt and pepper, mix well and spread out onto a roasting tray. Cook for around 30 – 35 minutes, until roasted and soft.
- Next, it’s time to make the dressing. Zest the lemon and place to one side. Add the tahini, juice of 1 lemon, garlic, apple juice concentrate, water and a pinch of salt into a blender. Blitz into a smooth dressing (double cream consistency), add more water if the dressing is too runny.
- Add the cooled squash and shallots to a mixing bowl, add the lemon zest, spring onions and parsley and mix well. To finish the salad, drizzle with the tahini dressing and serve.
Publication date: 8 October 2019
This recipe is proposed for the commitment(s):
- Choose local, seasonal and organic vegetables
- Make your own meals
- Introduce vegetarian meals